Mama Bear Mode; how to protect your child from being kidnapped....

11:37:00 PM

MAMACARE MONDAY



I don't even know where to begin with this topic, such a heavy subject however unfortunately a reality for some mothers and families who have experienced this. Lets start here, about two weeks ago I was invited to a pre-screening of Hally Berry's aptly titled new movie "Kidnapped".  Having seen the trailer on television many times, I was in no rush to watch to go and see what I considered to be a horror movie.  However I had one of my best friends in town when I received the invite and I figured this would be a great time to bond, having some quality fellow mommy girls time.  Boy were we in for a surprise...... first there was a totally unexpected cameo of Miss Hally Berry showing up giving a brief rundown of the film, her reason for doing it, and why it is so important to highlight women's strength and shedding some light on female heroines which in this case is an everyday hard working mother who gets to save the day, doing whatever it takes to get the job done.







The opening scene was enough for me, literally I could have been done with the movie from this point when her son gets kidnapped and she witnesses it. The horror and look on her face is spot on given this particular situation an is unfortunately all to familiar and hits close to home.......Not one of my best parenting moments but there was a brief episode where my then 2.5yr old was lost in the local Target due to my husband and I bickering, not paying close attention to her and much like how anything happens in life, she was lost like that! Luckily, our story ending was a happy one where she was taken to guest services by a very nice women and when we found her there, she was sitting on the woman's lap sipping on an apple juice box. Although I was extremely traumatized by this, with time I was able to forgive myself, trust my instincts, and be more aware.


According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (citing U.S. Department of Justice reports), nearly 800,000 children are reported missing each year. That's more than 2,000 a day. The NCMEC says 203,000 children are kidnapped each year by family members.

My take away from watching this movie coupled with my unfortunate experience, and the conversation that was generated between my good friend and I was that there is really no one size fits all way in "protecting our children from being abducted. I think it involves a little bit of everything with all hands on deck, whatever as a mom, parent, etc... one is willing to do. For me, I want to go forward in life with the mentality that whatever is my daughters journey is unique to her and I am only here to guide and facilitate. With that being said am I going to always make sure I am aware of all of my surroundings  especially with my daughter involved going to local parks with multiple entrances and exits, crowded amusement parks, busy shopping areas, outdoor concerts, etc... From my past experience going through life fearing the unknown, the what-if, or something bad can happen, only makes it more of a sure shot that something unfortunate will occur however only much faster. Although a very logical and practical school of thought, when it comes to our kids we can't help but worry and be a little bit fearful.......

What are your thoughts, would love to hear!
Remember mamas invest in yourself so you can continue to invest in others..........until next Monday


You Might Also Like

0 comments