Mama Care Monday: Celebrate Your Mommy Body

12:13:00 AM




So I had the up most pleasure this weekend taking some boudoir photos for my bae for upcoming V-Day by a new emerging photography experience brand for women. Their motto is "dusting off the dull" empowering, encouraging, and in my case motivating me in getting my sexy back, feeling comfortable in my skin, loving and owning every aspect of my body where it is now, especially post baby. Not one to be shy in front of the camera, seeing as I had 15+ modeling career with NY my home base being NY modeling nationally and internationally, being "free" with showing my body came with the territory. However when the opportunity presented itself to participate in the photo shoot, I must admit that I had some initial hesitation, worry, anxiety, and just overall nervousness. As stated, you would think at this point that I can reveal whatever without a care in the world being a "pro" right........not necessarily. Yes I am thin, slim athletic build, thanks to genetics and being a serious athlete in my younger days has enabled me for most of my life to eat pretty much anything I want, however as we all know having children figuratively and literally changes the physical form and what used to be "tight and right" is no longer. I can't tell you the last time I saw an actual ab on my stomach without holding my breath and flexing to display the definition, when at one time just standing still my abs were present. 




Then it dawned on me, why I am being so self-conscious? so my body doesn't resemble some of my earlier modeling day photos but that time was that time and this time is now. Its about mindfulness and being present in the moment. As stated prior, loving and owning the skin I am in no matter if its a little looser now and accepting the current state of my body which is all good. This photo shoot was more than just "photos" it invoked a feeling of self-worth and empowerment. You see splashed all over media women celebrating their bodies while expecting, why can't we do the same for our post baby bodies? letting my go of my mini body dismorphia moment and enjoying my "mama body" telling myself I birthed another human being, celebrate those curves whether they are little, big, loose, a bit saggy, and/or everything in between, creating life you earn that body. 



As I always say its about self-care, celebrate your mommy body and the new curves that come with it, just because you are a mom doesn't mean you stop being a woman, sexy, desirable, or loose yourself in the world of motherhood. Once you have kids, trust you are going to be a mom for life no matter how old your children are, so along the journey make sure you take stock in and invest in yourself so you can continue to invest in the love ones in your life. Following a regular routine of getting nails done, wellness services, spa, massage, acupuncture, staying up with waxing and/or shaving can really make the difference in how you feel. You will be surprised, its the small things that add up to the whole. I know I was really pleased with myself because I was completely prepared by being waxed and shaved in all the right places because I took the time weeks prior to just get it done and it felt great, gave me a little extra pep in my step. You never know when your next photo shoot, girls trip to the beach, pool day play-date with the kids, etc and you don't want to be caught out there. Accepting yourself for who you are doesn't mean you can't take care of yourself, when mama is ok everyone is ok.



Even though I did these photos for my husband, I really did them for myself, letting go of the fear and giving my version of what sexy is and what it means to me. Here is a sneak peek! remember mamas, take care of you so you can continue to take care of others. Until next Monday..........








You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I took your advice and when I had some alone time yesterday walked into the local aveda institute for some pampering-- facial wax with complimentary hand massage. It had been WAY too long and it felt glorious just to focus on self. I smelled like amazing and soothing aveda products for the rest of the evening with skin as soft as a baby's bottom! Thanks for the reminder to take indulge myself more often!

    ReplyDelete